10 Signs Your “Child” Has Outgrown the Pediatrician
Much to the dismay of parents, their children eventually outgrow the comforting walls of the pediatrician’s office. And need to be booted, we mean “gracefully transitioned” to an internist.
Parents, here are some helpful guidelines to gauge when your precious child is ready:
1. Doesn’t fit on the scale. That goes up to 400 lb.
2. Looking for the Smoking and Nonsmoking sections in the office, but only sees Well and Sick sides.
3. Brings flask to visit. Not filled with juice.
4. Your child has children of their own.
5. Feet reach the floor when sitting on the exam table.
6. More piercings and/or tattoos than child’s age.
7. Still in college, but a 10th-year senior.
8. When he is no longer bribed with stickers or lollypops.
9. When she rolls her eyes at two of the following words: boo-boo, ouchie, pee-pee, poo-poo, kiddo, or sweetie. Or no longer falls for one of the following: got your nose, disappearing thumb, or quarter behind the ear trick.
10. Child’s problem list includes three or more of the following: hypertension, type 2 DM, CAD, COPD, OSA, hypercholesterolemia, shingles, or gout.
With these simple guidelines you’ll be able to make the correct appointment!